Sunday, February 1, 2009

Quality vs. Cost

I'm slowly learning that quality needs to be a bigger factor in my consumeristic decisions.

As a college student, cost ruled my world. At TJ Maxx, I picked the running shoes with the lowest cost. Score! At the thrift store, I'd snag some sweet finds. Vintage Levi's for $8. Say hello to mama! A free avocado-green blender, from my Aunt, that hasn't been used in decades. Sweet!

TJ Maxx, thrift stores, and hand-me-downs still have a role in my life (especially for cool clothes deals), but as I'm getting older and my husband and I are starting to purchase appliances and furniture for our home, I am becoming more aware of the importance of quality. For example, when I'm looking for pots and pans, I don't necessarily want to get the cheapest ones I can find. The greenest and most economical decision is to get quality pots and pans, with a timeless look that will withstand the test of my experimental cooking for years and years and years. Basically, I want those babies to last.

So, for me, no more really cheap deal on a blender that will only lasts through one smoothie-making blitz! I'm looking for stuff that will go the distance. That is good business for my pocket book and for the Earth.

How about you? How do you weight quality versus cost in your decisions?

No comments: